DrOAB
DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  In practice since 2000.
12594838

My seven year old daughter used to have a tendency towards

My seven year old daughter used to have a tendency towards middle ear infections and had one recently after a two year gap. Since this (about 8 wks ago) she has really struggled with dizziness and feeling (and being) sick. Her glands all over her body will flair up and she gets a temp. for a few days. The doctor has said that her ears now look o.k. Do you have any idea what her problem might be? Maybe the two things above are not connected, but she is having quite a few disturbed nights from being unwell and then ends up missing school!
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  DrOAB replied 3 years ago.

DrOAB :

Hello. The middle ear contains organs involved in both hearing and balance. Otitis media (middle ear infection) can sometimes lead to chronic inflammation of the balance organs, resulting in dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and loss of balance. Note that such chronic inflammation may NOT be visible on simple examination of the ear drums. Transient lymph node (immune system gland) enlargement and low-grade temperature increase may be due to viral infections, which can definitely worsen balance-related symptoms. I suggest that you ask your PCP for referral/evaluation by an ENT (ear-nose-throat) specialist, in particular one who might specialize in managing vertigo, labyrinthitis, or cochleovestibular problems.

Expert:  DrOAB replied 3 years ago.
Clarification: It is the inner ear (physically connected to the middle ear space) that contains the hearing and balance organs.

If you have reviewed my reply and found the answer to your satisfaction, please consider clicking "Accept" to provide credit for my service. Positive feedback is appreciated.

Take care,
DrOAB