DrOAB
DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  In practice since 2000.
12594838

My baby is 10 lb 7 ounces & is on 0.26 of ranitidine but that

Customer Question

My baby is 10 lb 7 ounces & is on 0.26 of ranitidine but that was prescribed to him when he was 8lb 13 oz, he is really unsettled & crying & bringing his feed up & I feel the dose needs to be upped, can you help at all please??
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  DrOAB replied 3 years ago.

DrOAB : Hello. Please provide the ranitidine syrup concentration in mg/mL.
DrOAB : You are offline, so I will leave general advice. Based on his current weight, he can take a ranitidine dose of 12 to 24 mg twice daily (I.e., about every 12 hours). The dose can be adjusted by your primary care doctor depending on symptom severity. Be aware that anti-acid reflux medications (like ranitidine) only lessen acidity of spitups and do NOT suppress the actual vomiting. Only a few medications counter reflux vomiting, but prescribing them is limited due to possible severe side effects. I suggest that you confirm the ranitidine dosing above with your primary care doctor.