Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

Hello I have a question regarding my ten month old daughter.

Customer Question

Whilst I was pregnant I was horrified to discover I had developed a few external genital warts. I went along to the clinic every week & chose to get treated with Liquid Nitrogen. At the time of birth there was no visible warts to my knowledge. I was concerned that there could be warts internally as 10 years previously I had had colposcopy treatment as I had a wart on my cervix. As this had all been dealt with 10 years ago and I had no further recurrences I was very upset & surprised to see warts resurface during pregnancy, however, no one was willing to give me an internal exam to see if there was until after the birth. (this was carried out after birth and there was no warts on cervix after all ) I am also married and my husband has never seemed to show any signs of warts from me.
During my pregnancy I was terrified my baby would catch HPV from me and had read all sorts of horrible things like RRP. I was assured by the consultant these things were rare and all would be fine. I gave birth vaginally and all was well. I had since put all thoughts of HPV out my mind until the other day when my daughter had a dirty nappy which was very runny and I was trying to clean her. I noticed that on her vulva there was a white spot. I felt totally panicked and my first thought was Oh no I have passed warts onto my baby at birth and that is a wart. I called the health visitor and she said it just looked like a Milia but she did not seem very well informed about HPV. Have you any thoughts or advice on this?? Can you get Milia on the vulva in babies? One point to make is that I was using a lot of sudacream on her for a few weeks and there was a build up of old cream on her vulva so making this has contributed to causing a spot etc????
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, Yes baby can get fungus infection over vulva giving depigmented patch. Please do not worry as she is unlikely to have the virus in her system.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Milia is skin condition of newborns.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Cream would not give such patch except sunscreen one.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

You could try a clotrimazol cream or lotion rubbing well for couple of weeks and see..

Customer :

It looks more like a white spot rather than a patch. You know like a whitehead

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

You can upload a close-up snap using paper-clip like icon. Tenia infection is likely cause.