Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

Help!!! My 3 1/2 yr old daughter has had coughs and colds most

Help!!! My 3 1/2 yr old daughter has had coughs and colds most of her life. We have had her to the doctors several times and eventually managed to get her referred to immunology specialist. Her results showed that her pneumococcal vaccine was low so they brought forward her pre school booster. We had a short period after that where she didn't have a cold and we hoped this was the end (she was also finished nursery at this point). The first day she was at preschool she came home with a new cold. Persistent cough. Back to the doctors who said it was probably viral but to try an inhaler to ease cough (which is about every 3rd breath). Inhaler has not helped. My partner and I are beside ourselves because not only is it awful seeing your child suffer but it is stopping us sleeping and the cough is becoming a source of torture for us as much as her. Any suggestions please please please.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, Sorry about this problem of repeated cough etc. If there is no fever, infection may not be the cause and she may be allergic to something. Please ask immunologist to try testing her blood for any allergy.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

If found, she may need preventive inhaler like steroid or cromoglycate.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Meanwhile avoid medicines and just give steam inhalation and plain warm sugar-salt water as sips to relieve cough and congestion.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Her cough is worse on a night time and the mucus she produces sometimes winds her in the night as she insists on sleeping on her back no matter how many times I turn her on her side. I have tried changing her pillows, mattress, duvet, carpet and curtains in her room in case it was a dust allergy to no avail. The episodes do follow a pattern of cold in that they get progressively worse. There was nothing in her diet and the only thing that changed when we had a brief respite was not being in nursery so I am not convinced that it is allergy related. We have also tried piriton tablets (over a year ago now) and it did not relieve symptoms. Her coughing has also coincided with weather change in England but we are currently in lanzarote and that hasn't eased it either.