Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

worried about 17 month old not being able to talk yet

hi how are you? i have a baby boy who is 17 months old and my public nurse is after saying he might need speech therapy he can say mama dadda, dog,dirty but not properly just enough u can hear wat he is saying i am after teaching him eyes and ears just today i said it 3 times and he said it and hi ya and also waves bye and says day day when i say bye bye to him i teached him to blow me a kiss by just showing him a few times that was 2 months ago. i know shes just doing her job and she is trained but i left her second guessing myself that i was not doing things right or not good enough. she said i really need to work on my comunication skills with him and interact with him more that i was not talking to him enough but i actually am spending my whole day with him trying to teach him things not all the time but i am allways talking to him properly not in baby talk but how i would talk to other adults he has a cousin who is 6 weeks older a girl he was crawling and walking be4 her but she has way more words and is putting few words together so i am wondering am i fussing and i just need to give him more time?she also said i need to give him more of a variety of things like painting nd drawing i went down and bought him things but he didnt have much of an interest and the people in the art and crafts shops said he really doesnt need to paint and draw untill about 3

Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, male child is usually somewhat late in speech which is normal. Please do not worry but continue interacting, especially expose him to more music, rhymes and popular tunes.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Infants pick up language also from hearing adults interact among themselves, not requiring always to be talked to direct.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

So if your instinct says he is doing fine, please avoid branding him backward or rushing for therapist just yet.