Dr.israr
Dr.israr, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

Hi, My one year old grandson has diarrhoea. He started on

Hi, My one year old grandson has diarrhoea. He started on Wednesday and on Thursday had 4 loose stools, same on Friday. Saturday had 7 dirty soft nappies and today he went 6 hours in between stools and now have had 4 loose stools some with mucus in them. He is very happy, eats rice and hardboiled eggs, toast and drinks water. He has had a tooth and waiting for an other as he is dribbling and chews his fingers. He has a bit of a cough. Because he is quite happy and not grotty I don't know weather to see a doctor or leave it for an other couple of days. Could it be his milk, normal blue top? Has he become allergic to it? If you could give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Grandmother Christina Customer

Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr.israr replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your grandson.

In order to help you find an answer, could you please answer following:

Any history of fever and vomiting associated?
Any history of nappy rash associated?
Any history of blood in stool?
Which formula milk is he getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1, No history of vomiting but had fever on Tuesday and went to hospital.

2, No nappyrash

3, No blood in stool

4, he drinks ordinary full fat milk now, twice a day

Expert:  Dr.israr replied 2 years ago.
OK and thank you for your input.

Well, based on the informations provided it seem a virus infection causing loose stools. There is nothing to worry about it. It will settles in 3 to 4 days. Since he is happy and You are doing all the right things as far as his eating and drinking, so at the moment there is no need to go doctor. However if his diarrhea got worse or he stops taking feed and fluids or he develop lethargy or blood in the stool then you must take him to doctor or ER. Other wise nothing to worry about. You can give him pedialyte to give him suger and salt. You can use yougurt as well which helps reduce loose stools.
Thank you and Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.