Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I have a 2.5 week old baby ( i am father). I have now got a

I have a 2.5 week old baby ( i am father). I have now got a cold sore on my lip. I have only ever had one before. I noticed this this morning. It is still in the early stages. It has not weeped yet. I think I have kissed the baby on the lips about 48 hours ago (approx ). and on the cheek with in the last 24 hours. The cold sore may have been there at this point without my realising. My wife has never had one. I am concerend that this may affect the baby. The baby doesnt have any symptoms. Do i need to do anything?? go to the DRs ?? I have looked this up and seems to be very serious especially in the first 6 week for the baby.
thanks
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, Sorry about this problem. Your baby will have sufficient immunity from mother's blood, transferred during last term as your wife is sure to have antiviral antibodies - most adults have, even without having had any sores.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

In any case it is only a fresh newborn is at risk when mother has active lesion at time of vaginal delivery.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Please however observe baby for next few days for any lesion on lips, mouth lining or over cheeks next few days.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

If found, please consult your pediatrician.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. It's just I've read on the internet that a newborn until 6 weeks old has a weak immune system. And if caught could be fatal. Is the chance of the baby catching anything less due to the fact the cold sore was in the early stages ?
Yes the immune system is weak to respond actively with fresh antibodies produced by them but passive antibody protection is also there to aid them, received from mother's system.