Dr.israr
Dr.israr, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

Hello, My baby is 8 wks old and she's exclusively breastfed.

Customer Question

My baby is 8 wks old and she's exclusively breastfed. She cries in pain an hour after every feed, unless she is asleep. Her cry can be really pained and is intermittent.
She's constantly snotty, has dry skin on her forehead, has a dry cough occasionally. She has plenty of wet and dirty nappies her dirty nappies can vary, sometimes green, mucus or algae texture. Mostly seedy yellow and brown.
I've tried Infacol and Gripewater to see if it's wind but no improvement.
My family have a history of CPNA/CPNI I wondered if the above sounds like it could be CPNI.
Thanks,
Em
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr.israr replied 2 years ago.

Hello Thanks for using just answer.

In order to help you find an answer, could you please answer following;

Does he have history of vomiting or regurgitation of milk ?

Any history of redness or rash in the anal region?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is rarely sick, unless she's laid down too soon after a feed, I sit her upright. We did have a couple of instances of projectile.
She sometimes gets a sore bum, around the hole. Cream seems to resolve it.
Expert:  Dr.israr replied 2 years ago.

Ok and thanks for your input.

Well, base on the information's provided above it seems your baby is having Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Her symptoms does not fit with any other disease.
You can continue with infacol with each feed. Give him small feeds frequently. Keep the head of the crib elevated a bit.

If there is no improvement with this management then other options include Antireflux milk formula like Enfamil AR and motility enhancing drugs. Although discontinuation of breast feeding is difficult decision but you need to start her on antireflax formula after discussing your pediatrition if she continue to have her current symptoms.

Best wishes and use "reply to expert" to ask any other question related to her current illness.