Charogat
Charogat, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery (adult and pediatric) and medicine.
16403115

About four weeks ago I discovered a mole on the scalp (at the

About four weeks ago I discovered a mole on the scalp (at the crown) of my son's head. It is about 3mm in diameter, is a medium brown colour - not black and it is not itchy. However to me this seems like a strange place to get a mole seeing as the scalp is covered in hair - although we do live in the tropics and he is swimming outdoors in the pool quite a lot. Can you advise please if this is something I need to worry about? Since noticing it I have applied waterproof spf 50 cream to the mole every day. Am I overreacting? I appreciate any advice you can give. Many thanks.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Charogat :

Moles can grow on the head, as they are not caused by sun exposure. The concern always is if a mole is changing - as that has a higher rate of cancer.

Charogat :

My first concern, though, is whether this is a mole or possibly a tick.

Customer:

I think I know what a tick looks like (on horses anyway) - and this does not look like that. It is flat - and not itchy or bothering him. the hair is growing normally through it. I just wondered if it was unusual and therefor somethng to worry about.

Charogat :

Okay. When you said a mole I assumed it was raised (and that's what was bothering you).

Charogat :

It is normal to have something like you describe, and not something worrisome.

Charogat :

Because there is a higher rate of malignancies in moles, and because it is in an area that will be exposed to the sun to some degree throughout his life, I would keep a close eye on it. If you see changes in size, color, or shape then you would need to get it checked out right away.

Customer:

Okay thank you very much. I will continue to apply spf 50 each day and as you say keep an eye on it. Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Customer:

sorry just to be sure - when you say raised - it might be ever so slightly raised off the surface of the scalp - but it is not lumpy if you know what I mean. Is this still okay?

Charogat :

Slightly raised could be a tick.

Charogat :

Please hold for one minute while I try to find a link for you to look at, that would have pictures.

Charogat :

I found a number of pictures by searching "tick in scalp" and think it would be better if you looked through the pictures so you can make sure that these pictures don't look like what is going on in your son's scalp.

Charogat :

I see you are offline. I will change this to a question and answer session (instead of live chat) so you don't get charged extra.

Charogat :

I hope I have given you excellent service.

Charogat :

G-d Bless

Expert:  Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again - sorry I had to go offline as it was 1am here (Malaysia) and I needed to go to my bed.

Thank you so much for your steer though. I have looked at the pictures on the web of 'tick in scalp' and some of them do look similar to what my son's 'mole' looks like (the less angry ones - and certainly not those that show the tick itself).

If it were a tick - is there a lotion or potion I can apply to get rid of it? Or is there anything he needs to take e.g. tablets - or will it get better on it's own? The only thing that makes me still think it is a mole is the fact that it is not itchy or bothersome to him. I thought perhaps a tick might be both those things. Again I appreciate your view on this.

Expert:  Charogat replied 2 years ago.

A tick must be manually removed, but when doing so care must be taken not to leave the head in the skin. This link tells you how to do it. This site also says to see a doctor if there are symptoms etc. but in your case, as you are not sure it is a tick, you should go see the doctor just to verify it. If it is a tick then you I would like to see you go to a doctor simply because of the amount of time it's been there.
The doctor can also determin any of the problems that you need to watch for if this is a mole (the things I mentioned yesterday).

In the event that this is a tick, a visit to the doctor would be imortant.
In the case that this is a beauty mark / mole, the visit can wait until the next time he sees the doctor.

G-d Bless

Please let me know if you have further questions.