Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

im not sure if this question is for paediatrics.My daughter

im not sure if this question is for paediatrics.My daughter breathing mostly by mounth.she is 5y old.when she was 2y old she used dummy for long time and her mouth became shaped around dummy a bit.so she cant close mounth properly.i mean when she close mouth after few seconds she open it again.also we noticed that her uvula is connected with right tonsil.so when she speaks she doesnt use nose it sound different.when i ask her to breath by nose she can breath clearly.but most of the time she use only mouth.i was wondering if this mouth breathing is coursed by tonsils, or that uvula connected to tonsil.when she sleeps in night she does snores as well.when i went to doctors and ask them about it they said its ok.but im not happy with that.will wait for your answer.thanks.

Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Sorry about this issue. The mouth breathing habit is due to adenoids and not uvula. Please get her investigated by ENT specialist and treated by removal of adenoids if found obstructing her breathing.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Dummy use can only cause dentition issues like protruding teeth.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for reply, so her upper tooths are a bit deformed "arround dummy" do you think this doesnt make an issue with mouth breathing?because when i ask her to close mouth i can see that she has to little force tooths to go in so her lips goes over just because of that deformation, and that may be an issue of breathing by mouth. But what scares me as well is that uvulla connected to tonsil.is that normal? should it be disconected?

The teeth may remain apart due to jaws opening up. If protruding teeth are still touching with jaws closed and lips remaining apart, that may cause mouth breathing and drying of tongue, but her adenoids have to be checked if there is snoring also.
Uvula touching one tonsil will not be any problem in breathing. If desired, that can be easily cured by simple blunt procedure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are there any recommendations or therapy for protruding teeth ?she doesn't have it that back but if there is anything which could help to put it back to normal?like exercises or something? we will get check that adenoids.

As she has temporary deciduous teeth, no treatment is recommended as yet but new permanent teeth will erupt right.