Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 12 yr old was prescribed Azithromycin 200 mg 5 ml suspension

My 12 yr old was prescribed Azithromycin 200 mg 5 ml suspension for upper respiratory sympthoms for 6 days. The first day he vomited his first dosage. He took 5 ml on the next 3 days and last night, day 5 I accidentally gave him the remainder, which was 10 ml by mistake. He weighs 105 pounds. I gave him extra fluids and he seems to be fine. What should I look for or what should I do?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, You need not do anything. As such a three day course is adequate but you have not overdosed if you stop now.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hope he has no fever now and is better.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

There are no side effects of this antibiotic overdose except perhaps vomiting and abdominal pain. It is not at all toxic to system in the stated dose. There is no need for worry.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.