Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My daughter since september is falling sick once a month almost

My daughter since september is falling sick once a month almost the same part of the month.
Now she has been sick since thursday morning with non stop fever. Actually on Sunday she had some time without fever but at night went back to having 38. Monday, today she had again little fever but at night again 37.8.
On thursday night and friday during the day fever would get to 40 and wouldn't come down with calprofen. And just when I thought she went past it because sunday she didn't have fever at night it went back up again.
In the previous instances again tehre was this play when I thought it went away and she was now fine due to no fever and actualy a couple of days later back to sllight fefver again (37.6, 37.8 etc..)
Could these monthly illnesses be related? What type of cold comes and goes within days?
A few months back GP said it was tonislitis and if it didn't go better within a couple of days to give antibiotics. It did get better and I didn't give antibiotics.
This time they again prescribed antibiotics cause the ears were a bit red. Again I want to give antibiotices when it is surely required.
could it be really true this is the behaviour of a bacteria rather than a virus and am wrong not to give antibiotics?
Except she also has bad cough at night, she is relatively well leaving out teh fact she has been having slight or high fever these days now.
E.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

, Sorry about this problem. She sure has a recurring bacterial infection because virus usually gives long lasting immunity and does not linger like this.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Bacterial studies like smear, swab culture of throat and even blood culture will help. It will also give result like antibiotic sensitivity to know the exact drug likely to cure, which you may have to continue of weeks.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am afraid that by the time the GP agrees and sends her tests and they come back (if they come back) it may be too long..

I went to my paidiatrician in Greece and the child wasn't sick then but she took a swab from the throat to check and came negative so she told me no need to give her the "Claripen clarithromycin 250mg/5ml)". I had bought two bottles before leaving greece so if the results from teh test came positive I would give it to her.

What would be best, ***** ***** the amoxycilin 125mg/5ml oral suspension one 5ml spoonful 3 timmes a day days? Amoxycilin was written by teh Gp on the basis of a red ear despite teh child has no ear ache.

Amoxycillin would be suited to her symptom/signs. Please give -14 days (first three times and then twice daily).