Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

My 4 year old son has had a poor appetite the last few days,

My 4 year old son has had a poor appetite the last few days, he vomitted 3 times out of the blue on Friday evening and is complaining of a sore stomach. He has just been to the toilet and his poo was beige!
He is also more tired than usual.
I don't think its a bug. Any advice?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Leah :

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that your son is ill.

Dr. Leah :

If he is vomiting and having stomach pain with non-diarrheal stools, probably should be seen by a doctor.

Dr. Leah :

Although it is possible that it could be a mild case of gastroenteritis, you would definitely want to make sure he doesn't have something more serious like appendicitis.

Dr. Leah :

The beige color of his stool is not particularly concerning. Stool colors that are cause for concern are white (liver problem), red or black (indicating blood).

Dr. Leah :

Strep throat can also present with stomach ache and vomiting in children, so getting test for a streptococcal infection is probably a good idea as well.

Customer: Thank you. I do plan on making an appointment tomorrow to get him checked over.
Dr. Leah :

If the abdominal pain becomes more severe prior to the appointment tomorrow, you should take him to the nearest emergency room for evaluation.

Customer: The beige / clay colour stool did have me concerned but you have put my mind at ease. He only vomitted a few times on Friday evening... Then no vomit since then
Customer: Tummy pain has subsided since his poo / so will just keep an eye on him
Dr. Leah :

Glad to help. In the meantime, until his appointment, I would avoid dairy-containing foods. These can often increase stomach discomfort and produce increased intestinal gas. You might try an anti-gas medication called Simethicone to reduce any cramping.

Dr. Leah :

Ok. I'm glad his stomach pain has improved.

Customer: Thanks again
Dr. Leah :

You're very welcome!