Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

. I'm a new mother to a 35 week premature baby now 3 weeks

Customer Question

Hi. I'm a new mother to a 35 week premature baby now 3 weeks old. I've been super careful about everything from holding her right to infection control. I'm really upset today and in need of reassurance. My mother took her for an hour so I could sleep. When
I awoke she'd put her in a bouncer that in my view is too big for her. I picked her out because her chin was on her chest and she was sleeping. Now I'm terrified that she had restricted oxygen and may have brain damage we won't know about for some time. She was breathing gently and seemed contentedly asleep when I got her out and my husband says she had no signs of blue lips or anything. She was in it for 20 mins or so. She is already quite strong and I am hopeful that she could've moved or cried if she'd been uncomfortable. She seems her normal self since. Please reassure me that there would be signs if she had had restricted oxygen sufficient to cause brain damage. I won't let that bouncer be used again till she's older. I'm so worried. Thanks.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Please stop worrying if baby is fine presently, feeding well and playing/sleeping normally. Any episode of oxygen restriction will make baby move head to rectify the constriction. Chin touching chest will not really affect windpipe lumen and breathing will still be normal unless there is any band of clothing around neck.
Any breath restriction and oxygen lack will definitely cause blue lips etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. She seems ok still. She was clothed and had a babygro on that was buttoned up to the neck but I don't remember seeing that between her chin and chest. I will try to stop worrying - it's hard and I feel especially worried for her as she is so little. But I am trying to tell myself that she wouldn't have had signs of oxygen restriction then recovered her colour all before I picked her up, especially since my husband was nearby the whole time and glancing over at her regularly. She is feeding very well and sleeping well since, and has cried as well as been looking around.
While adults suffer brain damage by around 4 minutes, babies near birth can withstand much longer insult to brain due to lack of oxygen, say 10-12 minutes.
Enjoy your baby.