Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

Good day, My 4 month old was in hospital twice over a two

Customer Question

Good day,
My 4 month old was in hospital twice over a two week period. Admitted for bronchitis and gastro. He starting dehydrating and admitted to put him on a drip. With the diarrhea not coming to an end and no bacteria or parasites etc found in his stool dietician said he may have a milk allergy. He has eczema and gets "hive" outbreaks. There was mucus and blood in his stool while in hospital but has stopped I have cut out diary but at times without thinking have it at times. While in hospital and after discharge he got severe cramps and cried and screamed a lot, refused to feed at times. Does not really get it anymore or not really as bad. He is eager to eat now and I feel like I am breastfeeding a new born (as its so sore again). My milk supply has dropped so now crying etc is because he is hungry.
Anyway, is it really a possibility that he now has a milk allergy and that it started same time when he got sick? When I do happen to eat diary I can't say I notice mucus specifically because of it, but I did notice hive outbreaks not sure if it's because of the milk. I have not cut out all diary for two full weeks but cut down a lot and have gone 1/2 days completely without it.
I was told to use pepticate but my little guy hates the stuff. The minute he starts drinking it he starts crying (apparently it's bitter compared to breastmilk). What can I do to get him to drink it?
Category: Paediatrics