Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My child is 10 years old and was diagnoised at the age of

Customer Question

Hi my child is 10 years old and was diagnoised at the age of 4 with autism and microcephaly I have read from the web that life expectancy for individuals with microcephaly is reduced and the prognosis for normal brain function is poor so im very concerned how this will affect my daughter in the future and what is the result from a head growing but not the brain and want to know how this may impact her in the future, since the microcephaly dignosis there have been no more follow up to see how my child is doing and would it not be standard practice to measure the head for someone with microcephaly and also read

Life Expectancy

The general life expectancy of the children diagnosed with microcephaly is reduced. The prognosis and the life expectancy work hand in hand. If for instance, the child has a poor prognosis, the life expectancy for that child is low. Yet some experts will say that the life expectancy with a person diagnosed with microcephaly will usually last for 20 to 35 years old, if they are lucky enough. With the right support mechanisms from family members, loved ones, and physicians, the life expectancy will be high and vice versa.

thank you

Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Sorry about this diagnosis. If there is restriction of growth of skull while brain continued to grow, there would be neurologic issue and without treatment like suture separation, life expectancy may be low. But with brain not growing due to genetic defect (a syndrome usually) then there may not be any reduction of life expectancy if other body organs are functioning normally and there is good family support, because they would not be self-supporting careerwise.Good luck to her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi i have found the report from the genetics which says head circumference is slightly small when compared to her weight and height and do not think that it is significant enough to warrant any further investigations and another report from someone else says healthy and well grown child with height and weight on 50th to 75th centile but relative microcephaly, I feel confused any additional help and advice as to what this will mean to my child

thanks

When head circumference is significantly less, in 3-5th percentile of normal scale, it is called microcephaly and otherwise, just constitutionally small head.Normal IQ and other mile-stones also preclude any significant brain affection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

does my child warrant a diagnosis of microcephaly and what does relative microcephaly mean

thanks

Please state the readings of head size in her growth chart each year and one can find out from standard chart given in this reference: https://www.uniprix.com/uploads/courbes-de-croissance/Girls_Head_0to5.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you know what relative microcephaly means

thank you

It is a misnomer as it should mention 'relatively small head size', not microcephaly when there is no mental subnormality or symptoms like headache, vomiting, fits etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

You are welcome.