Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My son is 42 months he is on antibiotic last tuesday .he got

Customer Question

my son is 42 months he is on antibiotic last tuesday .he got temperature from monday .stii he got very high temp giving him calpol,iburofen.main thing is he was on antibiotic on march 14th to 21st .and march 28 to april.that time as well they have started antibiotic bec of coughing .thats why really worries about him all n each month he is on antibiotic.i really doont know what is the best option for him which test should i do? does it affect in the future for him .he is really keep on coughing .he cant sleep pls help n advise me thanks you
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that your son has had one illness after another. I also understand your concern about him taking antibiotics so frequently and concern for resistance.If he is currently having fevers while taking antibiotics, it is most likely that he has a viral infection causing the fevers. Viruses are unresponsive to antibiotics. However, it is best to finish the course of antibiotics to prevent the development of resistance from a possible "partially treated" bacterial infection. I would recommend that, the next time he has a cough and antibiotics are considered, asking his doctor to do a chest x-ray. This will clarify whether or not your son needs antibiotics again. If the coughing episodes continue and are frequent, he may have something non-infectious occurring, such as reactive airway. This can be diagnosed by a pulmonary function test. Usually, this is performed by a pulmonologist.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
As for the current fever, I would continue giving the fever reducing medications as needed for your son's comfort. If I am understanding what you wrote correctly, he has had a fever for 6 days? This is a bit long for most illnesses, so I think he should be re-checked by his doctor sooner more than later.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
I see that you are still offline. If you have further questions when you log on again, feel free to ask.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I just wanted to follow up on how your son is doing. I hope he is feeling better by now. Please let me know if there is any further assistance I can provide.