Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My 18 month doesn't speak yet also spins a bit and walk on

Customer Question

My 18 month doesn't speak yet also spins a bit and walk on toes sometimes
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It sounds like you are concerned about your child's developmental milestones. Most 18 month olds say about 6 words on their own and can repeat words that other people say to them. If your child is not quite doing this yet, the first step is to have a hearing test via an audiologist or at the office of an otolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat doctor). Even if your child seems to hear ok, there may be sounds he/she is missing if there is a hearing problem which are affecting spoken words. Most likely, speech therapy will be recommended regardless of whether or not there is a hearing issue. If there is a hearing problem, the otolaryngologist will recommend the best remedy. As for walking on the toes, if this is only occasional, it is probably normal. If he/she can flatten the feet and walk normally at other times, then a tight Achilles tendon or neurological issue is unlikely. I have seen occasional toe walking in some of my patients if they are walking bare foot on a hard-wood or tilled floor. They walk on their toes because their feet are cold on this kind of surface. I'm not sure exactly what the "spin a bit" behavior is that you have seen. Could you describe it in more detail?
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 2 years ago.
I see that you're still offline. I'll log back on in a bit to assist you further.