Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

What is a haptoglobius test

Customer Question

What is a haptoglobius test
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
This molecule is present in blood to bind with any hemoglobin that leaks out of red cells, and carries it to other places for recycling purpose. Thus most of iron and protein from hemoglobin is reused in body.
If more than normal red cell destruction occurs, this molecule's blood level drops, due to more of it being used up by liberated hemoglobin in plasma.
The normal heptoglobin level figure varies with laboratories, so report also mentions the lab's own standard level.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I met with the consultant yesterday. He is happy with a ll the tests. His iron is considered normal now. It is 14. Normal rate is 14-31. Still on the low end of normal. Folic acid and b12 were high. HaPtogloblin test was fine too. Je said to keep him on a maintenance plan of 5mls orally 3 times a week. He has been asking it daily for 14 weeks now. I asked him if they needed to repeat the blood tests after 3 months but he said no. What if levels drop again and I don't know? What happens when he comes off it after the next 3 months.
In absence of a syndrome or hematologic condition where there is low production or excessive destruction of red cells, there is no likelihood of level dropping now.
Please feed him a dish daily prepared in iron utensil, giving bottom portion to him scrapping the vessel.
You can make out crudely the hemoglobin status by watching lips and nail-beds for usual pink colour (comparing with yours).