Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 1 year old has keratosis pilaris. Can u tell me what causes

Customer Question

My 1 year old has keratosis pilaris. Can u tell me what causes it? Is it inherited? Neither myself nor my husband have it. Will he grow out of it. How can I treat it. Shoukd I see a dermatologist?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about this condition. Usually considered harmless, it gets cured by about 25-30 years age.
No treatment is necessary unless there are troubling symptoms. Cosmetic treatment may be necessary for lesions affecting appearance. Cause is unknown but genetic inheritance is likely.
Treatment involves loosening keratin by local applications (salicylic acid, urea, vitamin A creams etc) and for more troublesome spots, laser treatment.
Please upload a picture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am writing about myself for a change. I hve a persistent cough for the last 6 weeks. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I might hve bronchitis. He gave me a ventalin inhaler. 2 puffs 3 times a day. My friend said that vventalin only works on ashma. Which I don't have.
Also I have terrible pain in my hand. A constant tenderness. I had carpal tunnel syndrome when I was pregnant and feels like this or worse. Doctor did an X-ray but said it was normal. He gave me no painkillers or anything. Recommended physio and if that didn't work to go to an ortho consultant.
I can't open a bottle as I don't hve power in that hand.
Should I skip physio and request a ct or mri to see exactly what is going on. Could it be tendinitis or carpal tunnel styndrome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Regarding cough, the inhaler is given for simple obstructive bronchitis too. However an X ray chest is advisable for any persistent cough beyond 2 weeks.
If you also have weakness of hand grip in addition to pain, there may be a problem in neck spine causing nerve compression so please see an ortho or neuro consultant. MRI neck may be ordered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the best treatment for carpel tunnel syndrome
Initially it is ice packs and rest. If not cured in couple of weeks, then splinting, drugs and even surgery may be required. There is option now of endoscopic surgery to relieve pressure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is physiotherapy any good for it??
Yes it helps in initial stages. For major structural obstruction in the tunnel, it may not cure.