Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

There My seven year old son has contracted the 'winter

Customer Question

Hi there
My seven year old son has contracted the 'winter vomitting bug'/ norovirus which has been circulating his school and has been vomitting all night. He is much better now and is able to keep down fluid and one piece of dry toast. I have two main questions:
a) when can he eat normally?
b) chances are that his twin sister, older brother and we (his parents) will have been infected. Is it a good idea for us to fast so that there is nothing in the stomach for the virus to feed on?
Thanks very much!
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Sorry he is sick. Please maintain on liquids orally and start on liquid dishes next day, and then the normal diet next day (non-spicy few days). 2)There is no need for non-infected persons to fast, but just avoid spicy food and keep well hydrated. Viruses do not feed on our diet but on our cells and tissues.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

brilliant - thanks - and on a practical level (I had quite a night to it), if we eat less, will there be less vomit? So, maybe a small meal in the evening in case of night-time vomitting (but can make up the nourishment int he morning)?

You are welcome. Yes if you feel nauseous, with may be cramps in stomach area, good idea to keep less full, eat small portions repeatedly. Virus is usually couple of days' affair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there
Our 8 year old son (twin born by c section 38.5 weeks) has been having what we think may be absence seizures. He suddenly becomes totally vacant and non responsive to his name. It lasts a few seconds, no more than 10. He describes it as 'daydreaming' but comes out saying 'sorry, I'm getting all confused'.
This last week his absences have been accompanied by sudden involuntary urination.
One time this was brought on by hitting his head.
He has also mentioned feeling like he is shaking a couple of times (but nothing externally visible) and, on one occasion, hearing beeping.
Probably not relevant but he also woke up in terror last night (dream about a snake) but couldn't and wouldn't settle for at least an hour (atypical). This was one of the two times he has described shaking
We live in the uk and are keen to get him assessed/ diagnosed before the new term starts in September.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hi, sorry for his symptoms. You have to get his EEG done to diagnose if any, brain condition. If required, may need 24-hour recording. MRI may be deemed necessary by pediatric neurologist if he has any neurologic signs.

Good luck to him.