Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

In your professional experience have you ever heard of or

Customer Question

In your professional experience have you ever heard of or would it be plausible for a toddler of 15 months in the care of her parents to fracture her clavicle without any knowledge that she had done so. No crying to alarm and alert us, still active with
no immediate signs of physical distress. The only out of character signal was she had fallen asleep out of routine (potentially shortly after she had fractured it) whilst on awakening only then there were clear signs of discomfort.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Though not heard in my experience but it is plausible.An acute painful episode may cause brain to shut down temporarily, out of shock, and this may be interpreted as sleep like state. Body physiology remaining intact, on coming to, child can exhibit normal reactions like cry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you possibly point me to any studies or references that states this? (temporary brain shut down) I really value your help thus far.
Thank you so much
You are welcome.Please see : http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/articledetail.cfm?id=2133
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor,The link you provided is actually an article about fainting.Are there any articles that suggest a child may not cry when in pain such as a fracture? only go to sleepThank you so much
If not actually witnessed by an adult, one may not rule out fainting due to vaso-vagal stimulation, and going to sleep on coming out."If the toddler has not displayed any symptoms of a broken collarbone, sometimes a callus - hard nodule where healing occurs - is the only indication of a break." from link : http://www.livestrong.com/article/536754-broken-collarbones-in-toddlers/