Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

My daughter is coughing once she got cold, excited, angry.

My daughter is coughing once she got cold, excited, angry. She is sensitive to smell, pollens, pollutions. Lots of things make her cough. I think she might have asthma, we went to the GP, and the GP said she don't know weather she has asthma or not. What
should we do?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It does sound like your daughter has some symptoms that could suggest allergies and possibly asthma. Her cough could either be due to a post-nasal drip or from wheezing when she is exposed to viruses, allergens and possibly with exercise. Although your daughter may best be evaluated by a pediatric pulmonologist or allergist, there are a few things that her GP can do. There is a blood test called a RAST panel that can test for a variety of environmental allergens such as dust, mold, pollen, etc. If your daughter seems short of breath or has spasms of cough with running/intense exercise, she could benefit from a trial of an inhaler medication called Albuterol used before exercise. This same medication may also be helpful when she coughs from a virus. The most definitive way to know whether or not your daughter has asthma is for her to see a pediatric pulmonologist. This type of specialist can do a pulmonary function test to assess her breathing and test for airway spasm.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
If your daughter tests positive for any of the environmental allergens, her cough would improve with an antihistamine such as cetirizine or loratidine.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for you help, I think I should book a blood test for her, I have private health insurance, do you think i should ask the GP to refer us to see a specialist?
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
I think it would be a good idea to ask for the referral to a pulmonologist. That way, you will know exactly what is causing your daughter's symptoms and how best to manage them. Some pulmonologists too allergy testing too, so you may be able to take care of that as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! I wish you and your daughter the best!