Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

My 20 month old grandson goes into a trance when excited

Customer Question

My 20 month old grandson goes into a trance when excited with hands shaking eyes rolling etc
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your grandson "going into a trance." If he is unresponsive to you or he is unaware you are with him while doing the movements that you have described, he may be having a seizure. In the case of a seizure, he would also be very sleepy for an hour or so after the movements stop. If this is the case, he should be seen by a pediatric neurologist as soon as possible. A test called an EEG, which evaluates abnormal, seizure-like brain waves, would be done by this specialist and is diagnostic. If, on the other hand, your grandson is fully conscious, can interact with you and knows you are with him while doing the movements that you describe, it is most likely his way of showing his excitement. It is common for toddlers to do repetitive movements when they are very excited or happy. They often do this because they are unable to verbally express their excitement. The movements in such cases are benign and no cause for concern. I see that you are currently offline. If you have further details you'd like to mention or have additional questions, feel free to ask when you return online.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I just wanted to follow up with you about your grandson. I hope everything is ok.Regards.