Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

There. I wonder if you can help . I've been really

Hi there. I wonder if you can help . I've been really worried as when bathing my 3 month old baby girl I accidently used the wrong sponge and used our bathroom cleaning sponge (looks very similar ) which I had previously used to clean with cillit bang
cleaning foam . I can't be sure how much was left on the sponge . I didn't realise until the next morning and when I dressed my baby she had a rash . This all settled down but I'm so worried as I read that cleaning chemicals can be endocrine disrupters and
can lead to cancer . She sucks her hands in the bath too so I can't be sure if she ingested any . Do you have any advice for me on this I'm so worried I may of disrupted her system. Many thanks Claire
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Hello Claire, Please do not worry as this chance and brief contact would not do any harm and endocrine disruption, cancer etc can occur only after prolonged and repeated contact.She is quite safe if the initial rash has passed. Please henceforth keep the cleaning sponge and bathing one quite separate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much . Yes I have made sure they are quite separate now . I did worry though as my husband said he can't be sure if he may of used the sponge by mistake a couple of times so would that be repeated exposure ? Also she is well now and the rash has gone but she went to sleep after her bath for 3 solid hours and she never does that without stirring so I'm worried this may of been a sign that she absorbed or ingested some that may cause future harm ? Also I had read that babies are particularly at risk of endocrine disruption due to there developing organs and exposure early in life ? That's why I've been so worried as it said it can cause cancer years down the line . I wondered what your advice would be on this .
You are welcome.Going to sleep after bath is not worrisome. A couple or three-four times is still not enough to cause any harm, our liver can easily deal with such small traces of toxins. It is rampant exposure day in and day out that causes such long term effects. Please observe her behavior and growth curve over next few months and see.Good luck to her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you what should I look out for over the next coming months ? I will keep a very close eye on her as I feel so terrible about this . Will her developing organs be ok ? When I was reading for information it said that household chemicals are not tested for mutatancy and they are carcinogenic ? May I ask what that means as I'm not sure ? I was just worried with her sleeping so solidly she may of been drowsy with it as she always stirs but she didn't but what would have been the signs if she did absorb or ingested some ? I'm so worried as I can't be sure how much was left on the sponge . Sorry for so many questions I have been so worried I have harmed her . Many thanks again .
Claire .
Babies have very high resilience and please just watch her weight gain, feeding, play behavior and general condition. Only very prolonged and constant exposure as occurs with high pollution of environment may increase risk of cancer etc due to change (mutation) in genes.What is ingested by chance, mostly is not absorbed into systems. It passes gut into feces.Please rest assured of positive outcome only and stop worrying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much I do feel better , I will watch her development closely , what could it mean if there is a concern ? Can I just ask should I be worried that I read that the mutatancy of household chemicals isn't known ? And even though I can't be sure of the quantity on the sponge would that still be classed as trace amount ? Sorry to keep asking it's just I really scared myself by what I read . It said that even low doses of chemicals can cause endocrine disruption in babies due to there developing organs . It also said chemicals are linked to triggering leukemias and tumours . This is why I have been so worried .
Many thanks again .
Claire .
If a cleaning chemical is passed for household use, authorities must have checked for the dangers and found them reasonably safe. It is industrial and agricultural chemicals that are leaked or passed on that can cause such problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . Would there be any concern withleukemias ? And if there was more on the sponge then I thought would that be more than a trace amount as she was only in her baby bath I'm worried there wouldn't of been a great amount of water to dilute it .
Claire .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Yogindra .
I hope you don't mind me showing you this but this is what I read online on canceractive.com and this is what has really worried me . I wondered if you had any advice for me on this artical:Of course there are Government Safe Limits on each of these hormone disrupting chemical ingredients. But firstly, new research has recently shown some of these to be set way too high. Secondly, Governments approve chemicals in parts per million or parts per billion, but hormones are so powerful they can work at levels of parts per trillion, a thousand to a hundred thousand times less concentrated. Thirdly, Dr Ana Soto of the Tufts Cancer Centre in the USA has shown that xenoestrogens are cumulative in the body. Individually they may all be below Government safe levels - but cumulatively? Also the mutatancy of household chemicals is not known or tested . The US Cancer Prevention Coalition covers research that shows the lifetime safe toxin level is exceeded by the time a baby reaches 18 months.
Many thanks once again .
Claire .I was concerned incase she did ingest some off of her hands .
Sorry I won't keep e mail
Sorry about this grey area of human safety effort. This is perhaps one reason people go for herbal natural products when available in preference to man-made chemicals whenever available.Good luck to her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think she has been at risk then by my incident ? Are you able to answer my questions as above ?
Many thanks .
Claire .
I have a feeling that she is still safe and no harm is likely at all. The risk is infinitely small.
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience: M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp