Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

There . I'm having a bit of a panic . My 6 month old

Customer Question

Hi there .
I'm having a bit of a panic . My 6 month old baby has just been playing with her toys . I was quickly having a shower whilst I was letting her play with her toys in her cot . Before I went in I noticed a plastic tag was left in one of the toys which I removed . When I got out the shower I was getting dressed and I noticed my baby cough a little I went over to her and she was fine just looking a bit red . I feel concerned incase there were any further tags left in the toys that's didn't notice and she may of possibly swallowed ? She seems fine in herself no further symptoms or anything . The tags are quite sharp on the ends I'll send a pic . I'm just wondering what to do incase it's got stuck somewhere in her ? Do you have any advice for me .
Claire ,
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Hello Claire,Sorry about this. If she is fine, no further cough or choking, most probably there is no swallowing of any plastic part. And bits shown are quite small which may not harm internal linings of lung or gut. Any inhaling of foreign body will give constant, incessant cough and breathing problem.So she is safe and do not panic. Please however observe her over next few hours and report to ER for any out of way symptom.Good luck to her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply .
Yes they are quite tiny but sharp on the ends and are not easy to bend or snap . Will they pass through easily or will her body break them down if it gets stuck somewhere ? Many thanks .
Plastic material will not break down but pass unchanged in feces. May be there may be slight bleeding at places and please watch carefully all the feces she passes over next few days, liquefying and sieving to retrieve. Also get stool occult blood test done daily. If any symptoms, please consult pediatric gastroenterologist for tests like MRI, X ray where plastic may be visible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you she appears fine with no symptoms at present at all . May I ask how I do the stool accult blood test and is this only if there are symptoms ?
A strip for test may be available.Or you may contact a lab, just for surity couple of days.Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's a strip for test ?im in England so I may ring my GP for advice .
A coated teststrip is to be put in stool sample and colour change shows positive result if blood present. Frank bleeding may show as coffee-ground colour stool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . I will consult with my GP tomorrow. Do these objects normally pass through easily in s baby of this age ? Would there be symptoms of it was stuck somewhere inside?
You are welcome. Due to narrow passage, it may take more time but overall length being short, helps in quick passage of small things which do not obstruct passage.Symptoms could be crying, vomiting or refusing feed etc. If injury occurs, blood may appear either as red or coffee colour stool.
I posted earlier also but it failed to show due to some site problem. May appear as double posting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you respond doctor ? Did my post send
Yes I did, see above. You are welcome. Due to narrow passage, it may take more time but overall length being short, helps in quick passage of small things which do not obstruct passage.Symptoms could be crying, vomiting or refusing feed etc. If injury occurs, blood may appear either as red or coffee colour stool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . Do you think there's any risk of cancer if this object does retain in her body ?
Welcome again. Not the least, the material being totally non-reactive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you may I ask what non reactive means ?
It merely means the material does not react with body fluids or tissues. Thus there is no release of any harmful or cancer producing substance possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's great thank you .
You are welcome. Good luck.