Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

There. My 7 year old son has some noticeable lymph nodes on his neck, 2 near each other

Hi there. My 7 year old son has some noticeable lymph nodes on his neck, 2 near each other of the left hand side, and 1 on the right. One on the left can sometimes be seen when he turns his head away.
We first noticed 2 of them about 15 months ago. We had them checked by his doctor who was happy they were not a problem. At the same time he had a blood test to rule out Leukemia as he had been complaining of sore legs at the time. The blood work was fine.
The sore legs have gone, and he seems to have plenty of energy and is otherwise healthy.
My question is about the node we can see at times - when his neck is relaxed, it feels moveable, when his head is turned away it feels less mobile, and I worry it is attached to the tissue underneath. Is this normal? I would say the size of it is well under 1cm (perhap 0.5cm) and I don't think it has noticeably grown in over a year.
Thanks in advance
Andy
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Hello Andy, You need not worry about this static sized nodes which are mobile at least in one position so are not fixed to surrounding tissues.Please just assess them for size now and then and stop worrying as long as size remains same. And there is no pain on pressure, redness of skin or softening.Anytime they can be removed surgically through very small incision, and biopsied in lab if size increases, softening takes place, or there is long episode of fever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK many thanks. I had not ralised that getting softer could indicate a problem - does this include if they get smaller and softer ?
Andy