Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I am the father of a 14 year old severely autistic son. He

Customer Question

I am the father of a 14 year old severely autistic son. He is 6ft tall and weighs about 17st. He has a vocabulary of about 300 words the longest sentence about three words. His Doctor has him on the following daily meds3.5mg risperidone
200mg sertraline
72mg concertasadly this hasn't helped and he can be prone to massive violent obsessive incidents which have led to all his school placements breaking down. The local authority who employed the Doctor say, the meds are now wrong he needs sectioning to wean him off of them and 4 to 1 staff ratio. As they don't have 4 to1 can I have him on my own, which I am.
Does he need sectioning or can this weaning be done in a community/school setting. I have found a school that would do it if someone told them what to do.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
sectioning of a part of brain called the cingulate cortex is done in open surgery. You have to see pediatric neurosurgeon for this.
Hi, Sorry about this issue.In some patients of severe obsessive panic disorder, sectioning of a part of brain called the cingulate cortex is done surgically. You have to see pediatric neurosurgeon for this.The serious side effects of this surgery for some patients include seizures, personality changes and less ability to plan. One has to weigh the risk and benefit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What other ways can he be weaned off of this medication without going to a mental hosputal
There is no question of stopping all meds but either upping dose or changing to newer ones in their place. Surgery is last resort when all medical therapies fail.