Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 5-year-old son suddenly started snoring really badly and

My 5-year-old son suddenly started snoring really badly and after checking that he hadn't stuck anything up his nose, I used nose drops assuming it was a bad cold. After a couple of days I realised he didn't have a cold at all, but the snoring got worse and also sleep apnoea started occuring. I then realised his tonsils were enormous (they almost touched in the middle of the throat). I also noticed his lymphnodes on his neck were enlarged. No pain, no temperature, no other symptoms. Went to GP who sent us to ENT. He then said the adenoids are also enlarged. He assumed it must be due to an infection and should clear itself out. It has now been almost 4 weeks and it has not got better. At night he snores and regulay stops breathing (sleep apnoea), despite regular use of nose drops (xylometasoline), the tonsils are still very large and this morning I could actually see two lymphnodes protruding on his neck - clearly visible especially on one side. And still no temperature, pain or other symptoms. And he hasn't suffered from tonsilitis or ear infections, just odd colds, but not for a while. (Other info: His older brother had to have adenotonsillectomy due to recurring tonsillitis and ear infections causing enlargement of the tonsils and hearing problems. Father suffers from obstructive sleep apnoea). What could be causing it and how shall I proceed please?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Hi, he could have infection or/and allergy. Please get prescription for both an antibiotic and ceririzin and see. Please see that he sleeps on either side.If not relieved, a couple of short courses of oral steroids may be given if blood counts and crp tests rule out infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I happen to have Cetirizin and will try that first. How long should I give it a go for? As for antibiotics I would prefer not to unless necessary, as I said there is no fever, pain or any other symptoms indicating infection, plus recent blood test (for something else) showed no problems/infections... And of course I keep turning him on his side in the night. I will also consider the steroids as the last option. Any idea though as to what could have caused it, assuming it is not an infection (in absebce of other symptoms and blood test results)?
Cetirizin may be given for a week. Cause could be just reactive hyperplasia. Same reason as for neck glands. True if no fever or pain, bacterial infection may not be the cause, still antibiotic may need to accompany if steroid given.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help!
You are welcome.