Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

Dear Dr, My 2 year old daughter has had a palpable lymph

Customer Question

Dear Dr,My 2 year old daughter has had a palpable lymph node in the right hand side of her neck for over three months.We have seen our GP regularly regarding this and we always thought it was a reactive lymph node.We have since seen an ENT specialist who arranged for bloods and an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed 4 or 5 enlarged lymph nodes bilaterally each measuring at least 2cm, with the biggest around 3cm. The lymph nodes appeared to be enlarged but had the features of reactive lymph nodes with nothing sinister. The spleen and liver were normal, as was the abdomen.The bloods came back showing a small number of atypical lymphocytes and a recent epstein barr virus. The specialist feels that this is the cause of the lymphadenopathy. The plan is to re ultrasound in 4 weeks and if they are not reducing in size, to plan an excisional biopsy of the most superficial node,My daughter is very well and other than having symptoms of a virus around 3-4 months ago for about a week, has been fine. She is gaining weight and very energetic.Although I know EB virus is incredibly common, my worry is it's relationship with a number of serious disorders, particularly lymphoma in this case. But this is very unlikely isn't it?? Especially as the lymph nodes seem to have markedly reduced in size over the last few weeks.Many thanks for reading my question.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you are right. Few nodes in neck, if not painful to pressure just need watching. One can aspirate with needle for biopsy, without need for an operation if blood re-test confirms abnormal lymphocytes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. In your experience is EB virus and associated lymphadenopathy very common in 2 year olds. And do they tend to fully recover without any further issues? You read awful things about EB virus, which makes you worry, yet it seems so common! Many thanks

Hi, You are welcome. Yes fairly common due to non-availability of a vaccine. Not very dangerous though, one learns to live with it. It may cause mono-nuclear cell increase in blood. No treatment with anti-viral drug available.