Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

Are all unexplained bruise like marks on a 5 week old be a

Are all unexplained bruise like marks on a 5 week old be a case of abuse if scans and bloods are clear
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Not all. Please upload pics.

Psychologic testing of parent is also a requirement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are trying to say she has been hit with something bit I know this would not be the case
As she has been a poorly baby with feeding , reflux and bowel movement they thought best to get these checked when they appeared took to health visitor who wasn't too worried about them but said to take to hospital if they were still worried and wanted checked, now being accused of abuse
The dad was the last with her alone before marks noticed which was a couple of hours before but said she was content and asleep and the baby didn't seem any different when marks noticed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive pictures

Sorry but the pics do show odd shapes and spontaneous bruises are usually not shaped like having been made by sharp, pointed objects. One has to wait and watch for resolution if baby is otherwise fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the long one does look odd but surely a pointed object would break the skin ?
Also could it of been caused by false nails whist being held or an item of clothing I.e belt , button or a cat or dog claw ?
Also would they turn this colour within a couple of hours ?

Undue pressure by blunt edged or tipped object will not cause skin breach. Claws will likewise cause bleeding or parallel scratch marks with regular spacing. Color would turn to blue/black next day with alteration of blood under skin.

It is better to play safe and keep constant eye when some one besides you is with her, not trusting even dad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dad has a 5 year old that has never had a mark on her apart from falls etc once learning to walk and would not hurt a child of that I'm 100% sure
There are other people living in the house with them
So how long for the marks to change to that colour?
24 hour for pink red to turn blue black.