Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My son is sick constantly and doctors just keep saying same

Customer Question

My name is***** son is sick constantly and doctors just keep saying same tonsillitis and ear infection, with some chesty cough. we have been twice in ED in Tallaght, and both times we were left over nights in hospital due to bad blood results. they mentioned that he is anemic, so i have him on Galfor syrup. so my baby is on different type of antibiotics since beginning of May this year.
and now he finished a course(7) of Augmentin-Duo and 2 days later same symptoms arrise.
Not sure how normal it is ?
I don't know what to do anymore as it seems he is sick constantly since beginning of the year.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 8 months ago.

Hello Kristina,

Sorry about this illness. You have not mentioned how anemic he is, i.e. the hemoglobin level. If moderate to severe, that may be the cause or else if mild only, that may be due to repeated infections. Allergy does not have much fever usually.

He needs to be investigated for genetic or other causes of low immunity so please consult an immunologist or infectious disease specialist for needed work-up.

Meanwhile please get a prescription for prophylactic antibiotic course for few weeks, like trimethoprim.

Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience: M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me so soon.
When we got to hospital first time, the nurse said that he has 34 white cells in his blood and the standard is 8 so they kept us in hospital 2 days. After two weeks on our check up doctor send us again to emergency and they said is the same reason too much white cells.Today once again i went to see our GP and this guy say it is viral infection and to be optimistic that it is going to pass, he also said it would take about a year for Kistofer to get pass all this.
I also asked for a refferal letter to see a immunologist, but he refused as he is sure that he is correct.Im not sure how ok all this is ?!Thank you.Kristina.
Virals do not have high cell count. Another test is crp level to know if bacterial or viral cause.
You're welcome
You're welcome. Virals don't have high cells. Another test that helps is crp level, again normal in viral, high in bacterial needing antibiotics.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not sure of what else to do as they keep telling me it is ok for him to catch these viruses as he is in creche 3 days a week. I am not sure what crp level test means!I will try to adress this and ask for it once again off my GPKind Regards,
Kristina.
C- reactive protein, rises when bacterial infection occurs. One illness every 3-4 months is ok in first 5 yrs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much. I'm hoping for all to resolve soon.Regards,
Kristina
Good luck to him.