Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 8 year old son has broken s radius and ulna (I am giving

Hi there. My 8 year old son has broken his radius and ulna (I am giving link to X Ray photo): https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/[email protected]/27584408064/
He was operated on this morning (no wires required just reduction) and is in a temporary cast.
We are due to go on holiday on the 31 July and I am wondering how long my son will need to be in a cast? Also, will he be able to swim in pool/ sea if we use a waterproof cast cover - and, if yes - what type is best?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry about this accident. When just reduced, immobilization is required for 2-3 months. Depending upon repeat x ray for healing status, dr may allow travel and play in water after waterproof covering. Usually # ***** faster in children so good luck to child.