Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

My 6 year old daughter has cut her foot on rocks in the sea

Customer Question

My 6 year old daughter has cut her foot on rocks in the sea in Greece yesterday. She's on holiday with relatives. The cut is approx 4 mm wide and 3 mm deep. She was taken to the local doctor who could not tell if there was something inside (it looked black but this may have been blood). She prescribed anti biotic gel and said if she hasn't had all 5 tetanus jabs she will need an injection. My daughter has had 4 jabs and isn't due the 5th one until she's 14yrs. Does this mean she is covered or should she have another injection?
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. At your daughter's age, she should have received a tetanus vaccine (in the combo called DtaP) at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 15 months and 4 years of age. If she has not had all of these doses, she does need a DtaP vaccine for full protection. After this 5th dose, she will not need one for 10 years if she has no other injuries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Leah. I spoke to my daughter's GP who said she has had the 4 shots required for her age (the last one being in 2014 which was her pre school booster) and the 5th shot won't be until she's at secondary school. This is according to NHS programme. She said it won't do her any harm having a booster but she's very unlikely to get tetanus. I'm now pretty confused as to whether she is covered or not and what to tell the doctor in Greece?
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

I see. The vaccine schedule in the UK must be different than the one used in Greece (and the U.S.). I would tell the doctor in Greece that you have consulted with your child's doctor and reviewed the vaccines that she has received which show she does not need an additional dose. I'm sure the doctor in Greece will understand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

I would also monitor the wound over the next 48 hrs. If the area looks increasingly red and swollen, she might need oral antibiotics.

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome! I hope you and your daughter have a good remainder of your vacation in Greece.

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I just wanted to follow up with you on how your daughter is doing. I hope that her foot is healing well.