Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

My 13 year old has pink lines along his lower back. About

My 13 year old has long pink lines along his lower back. About five in total ranging from 5-10 inches long.I've been told they are probably stretch marks is this correct they have been there a few months now
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

From what you have described, they are most likely "stretch marks" or striae. These are very common and tend to develop during the growth spurt years due to rapid skin stretching. At your son's age, he is most likely experiencing pubertal growth that can continue through age 18 to 19 years old.

Unfortunately, once striae are present, there is not much to do to get ride of them. There are some dermatologists that do laser treatments in adults, but I have never seen this done in a child. The best way to prevent your son from developing more of these marks is to moisturize his skin daily. He should use a good quality moisturizer while his skin is still wet after showering on a daily basis. This will increase his skin's elasticity and prevent further striae.

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

I see that you are still offline. If you have further questions when your are back, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. For your reply. I'll ask him to moisturise, (I'm sure he won't tho) lol.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Most of my male patients don't like using lotion, but I encourage them to try it anyway.

All the best to you and your son!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.