Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I have just been perscribed daktarin for oral thrush I took

Hi I have just been perscribed daktarin for oral thrush I took it at 7:10 and worried about having an alleging reaction to it would I have had one now if it was going to happen panaking quite a lot very paranoid about allergic reactions
Category: Paediatrics
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Beacuse I need to take it 4 times a day and very nurvouse about having an allergic reaction it's now 9:30 and haven't had hives or anything so does that me I am going to be ok with this medication really frightened and worried please help me put my mind at ease please
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. Dr. Yogindra

Hi, allergy is two types, immediate (anaphylaxis shock) and late. First one is more risky and late one occuring over next day or two can easily be managed, having skin rash, abdominal symptoms etc.

So you may only get late one, so relax and complete the course without any worry.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's been 12 hours and I feel fine so I will be fine to take the next lot without any problems my doctor sed it's highly unlucky that I will have a reaction to it is that correct

Yes one is not likely to be allergic to drug taken first time ever, one needs previous exposure to get sensitized.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't understand what you mean do you mean that beacuse I had it yesterday and today and haven't had any type of signs of a reaction does that mean that I won't become allergic now

Yes mostly but still late reaction can occur after drug is metabolized and circulates in blood, reaction can occur to by-product of drug too. Please just keep close watch for any rash, itching, hives etc.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi I have been fine with daktarin I have been using it since Friday and my symptoms went on sat and I took it yesterday and took it today do you think that will be fine to stop taking it after today beacuse some places say take to days after symptoms have gone and others say take up to a week after what would u recommend

A week more after cure is fine. Oral thrush in adults indicates low immunity so early stoppage may bring back infection.

Good luck. Please click on positive rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what day would that be started it on Friday so by Friday stop it was caused by my inhalers for asthma

Till next Saturday would be fine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that would be 23 is that correct

Yes and you may reduce dose to 2-3 times.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome.