Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

Yesterday my 8 day old grandson just stopped breathing and

Yesterday my 8 day old grandson just stopped breathing and went blue! He was awake and sitting slightly upright in his great grandmas arms. She leant him forwards and patted his back but he still couldn't take a breath! He was conscious but turning bluer by the second, I took him and held him along my arm face down and tilted towards the floor and started patting him harder on the back then, but this seemed to do nothing, so I blew in his face and called for his Dad, who took him off me and patted his back, by which time he had started breathing again! he didn't seem to bring anything up, but did a few minutes later dribble some milk. He has been checked out at the hospital and had various tests all of which are fine. Could you please advice what else we can do if this happens again! we are pretty petrified!
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. Dr. Yogindra

Hi, This symptom indicates his respiratory center in brain is not working properly. Was he born prematurely?

Please write names of medicines prescribed for such event. You have to keep an 'ambu-bag' device at home for assisting the breathing and learn from your neonatal specialist how to use it in event of recurrence.

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, No he was born 2 days after his due date. He was a straight forward delivery.
The hospital have kept him in over night for observations and have taken an ECG, oxygen levels, various blood tests ( all results came through clear), monitored his feeding, and discharged him with medication for reflux.
OK. So the probable cause thought of is reflux aspiration into lungs. Keep the ambu bag handy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We haven't been given a ambu bag, can we purchase one ourselves, are they straight forward to use or should we receive training from a professional

Training will be required and it is easy to learn. One can buy from medi. appliances store. A rubber hose like reservoire gives air volume through plastic mask into mouth+nose of baby under mild pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. One last question, and this may sound an odd one! My Mother in law had just finished getting ready to go out, before holding the baby, she had sprayed quite a bit of very strong perfume on her. Can perfume fumes stop or affect a new-borns breathing?
Difficult to say, babies this young have little smell sense.