Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

We are currently having problems with my sons speech and

Customer Question

Hello, we are currently having problems with my sons speech and language. We are paying for a private speech therapist who has assessed that he is propbably about 12 months behind. He is currently 3.5 years. My question is relating to the potential cause of this and likely outcome. I am driving myself mad with feelings of guilt and worry. My sons birth was not straight forward. He was distressed. His heart rate kept dropping. There was old meconium in my waters and new during the birth. He was delivered emergency c section. However following this he was a poor feeder and was readmitted due to losing 13.8% birth weight. He was cold and dehydrated on admission looking at my notes. Also some jerky movements were observed. He had a brain ultrasound scan which was clear. Could this be the cause of his delayed development? He has also had problems with tight tendons which meant that he was a late walker - -about 20 months. This was rectified with orthotic shoes and physiotherapy and he has been discharged from these services. Could there be a link? Or could the late walking have had a knock on to the late talking? If there has been some damage what is the likelihood that he will catch up to his peers? I am so worried about him. Thank you
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 9 months ago.
Hi, speech delay is common in boys even without any ill periods after birth. Please persist with therapy and expose him more to music, rhymes and songs to aid his speech fluency. Most late starters ultimately catch up with years so have heart. Good luck to him.