Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My son is 2 and 3 months old and seems to be very far behind

Customer Question

Hi there, my son is 2 and 3 months old and seems to be very far behind on development ( hardly talks) when he was 7 months old a strap broke on his pushchair and he fell out. He landed on my leg but did have mud on his face so I think he may have hit the floor. There was no bumps, bruises or cuts. Could this fall have damaged his development in any way do you think?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Paediatrics
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm really worried, I've been to doctors multiple times and he is awaiting speech therapy but it just seems like a constant waiting list. I feel so guilty as if I have caused him to have problems
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 month ago.
Hi, sorry about this. Many boys are quite late normally in speech so no need to worry if he can get along signing and following orders. Please expose to lot of tunes and rhymes constantly. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He says a few words but not many. He is also very bad socially and struggles to play with other children. Could this knock to the head have caused this?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also what was worrying me is I was taking sertraline whilst pregnant with him for a while. I'm scared this has caused him to get autism?

The shy nature could be responsible for social aloofness. Head knocks occur very often in babies but due to soft skull bones and open joints, no internal injury is likely unless there was immediate black-out or other neurological symptoms like fits ever.

Drug intake is of concern only during first 3 months of pregnancy. Later on drugs are OK under dr's observation.

May be later after school admission may test him for ASD like minor Aspergers'.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was around about 5 months into pregnancy when I started the sertraline. There was no symptoms at all after the fall. He stopped crying after around 5 minutes and then went to bed as it was bedtime. If he does have autism will he still continue to develop? I'm aftraid he's going to be stuck within his baby mind. I know this may sound silly but that's how it feels a lot of the time
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm just afraid he will never talk

There are all chances of totally normal development, intelligence with late talking. Drug is unlikely to have affected his fetal development.

Be positively supportive and rest assured of full speech development one fine day. Later perhaps you would rather prefer him in his older silent version.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All I want is for him to be happy and I'm scared he's going to be so far behind the other children when he gets to school he won't feel comfortable. It feels like he's stuck at the stage he is at now and can't progress past it

I am sure you both will be happy. I beg to disagree politely. Seen umpteen number of such late bloomer boys, who develop fully and brilliantly later. Genetically girls start early and talk much more throughout their life so in early life boys appear dumb.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hope you are right and he develops. What age is the time to start worrying if he isn't talking?

By 5+years you need to get more tests if required. Remember about rhymes and tunes to max.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeh I'm always singing to him. He loves row row your boat and sits in my knee and says row and pulls my hands. I sing to him all the time
Fine. Good hearing is crucial to speech development.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's had a hearing test and all was fine. Just waiting for speech therapy now but it's just one waiting list to the next. Been waiting since January

No hurry for his training so good enough.

Regards, ***** ***** GB.