Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My son was diagnosed with 4 healing fractured ribs. They x

Customer Question

My son was diagnosed with 4 healing fractured ribs. They x ray read oblique lucency of the 5th and 6th ribs in mid-axillary and peristeal reaction with early callus formation.Meaning he has healing fracture ribs.My husband and I are devasted as he was taken away from our care by social services on grounds of NAI.Our son has never had a health problem since he was born.He is a healthy baby boy.Doctor says his bones density are normal and his lungs are fine.Here was taken to hospital by us because he fell but doctor said the fall is not consistent with the healing fractured ribs.Our son was 12 weeks at that time.Are son breastfeed well,has no pain or distress,grows well and has no sign of a child abused except the healing fractured ribs diagnosed. I spoke about this situation with Dr Saleem cardiologist and Dr Ravoid paediatrician. I was asked how my son was born.in explained in had a difficult vaginal delivery.my son was 8 pounds and more,at labour my son heart rate was a normal, I couldn't feel contraction as I had an epidural. I was distress and baby was in distress.The doctor had to quickly intervent.She used forcep to pull my son out. I was bleeding excessively after my son came out,the doctor had to do some stiges.My son also had a red right eye like blood coagulated within and a big red mark above his eyes.Today I am suffering from pelvic pain and back pain.Now my son taken away from us.we got a 6 years old lovely daughter who cries all day.she missing her brother and we don't know what to do. Had it being my son sustain the rib fracture at birth as Dr Saleem suggested?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 1 month ago.
Hi, Not likely to be birth injury showing as callus so late. Please see a legal aid for the action by authority. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I donot understand what you said please. Do you mean it's not birth injury?
No it can not be. Callus of birth injury will heal by 2-3 weeks age of baby always.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to get another opinion from another radiologist. Maybe another radiologist can diagnose the x ray.We are soo devasted. They are accussing us of abusing our son.How can it be he has healing ribs fracture and we couldn't notice it.Can it be possible for infant to have rib fracture and donot cry? To not be distress,has no swell,bruise,or tenderness. I want to understand can a bone fracture especially rib fracture not cause Injury to intrenal organs?they said it possiblewith blunt trauma.

please upload pics.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have his x ray on a cd and I donot know how to upload the files.i am on my way to see my son right now,when I get home might go to a it technican to help me upload the file to you.Thanks lot for your concern.

You are welcome. Use paper-clip like icon.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hello Dr I was unable to get a IT expert to help me download the x ray from cd to my computer memory and send it to you.I was wondering if I could post a copy of xray to you?I don't know if you will do such services. I am really desperate and need help.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Good evening Dr I was able to download the x ray, I pray you diagnose it and give me your opinion on this. Thanks a million in advance.
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 19 days ago.
These are not very old. Besides his vertebra too show marked osteoporosis, lack of calcium which discuss with drs.
Good luck.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
But if not too old,when did he suffered from such trauma?And why was he not in pain?why was it not seen during the first x ray.Also the doctor says his bones density are ok and don't have any medical condition which can cause this fracture. The say the rib fracture are not consistent with the fall and might had occurred 7 to 21 days before the fall.Our son had never sustain any trauma and we still don't understand why the healing fracture. We where not told where rib fracture was situated. Is it posterior or anterior? We only know from report he has 4 healing fractured ribs on left.Are the ribs fractured, bend or what.What should we do next?I am lost.what is happening? Is our son having an underlined medical condition we all ignore?Some other doctor telling us to check for medicalling bone disease.
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 18 days ago.
The vertebra are just pencil line thick outline. Such low calcium rib can get fractured by just coughing.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks soo much for your reply and advice doctor,I now start to realise why our son condition could not be easily noticed by us.I was wondering if you could please write what you think about the x ray and explain what need to be done,so I can present to my lawyer. I got another doctor who advised me to see into the issue of bone disease as he also diagnosed the x ray.I will be very happy if you acept to give a writteb opinion in this issue,mayanta be could send you my email for you to do that.I swear I will be very grateful.I want to getyou son and cure him as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Good morning Dr , you had a look at the rib fracture on the x ray, i want to down if the rib fractures are posterior or anterior.And are the marked osetoporosis on the ribs fractured? my sons blood result here shows note elevated PTH, and vitamine d deficiency.What is the meaning of all this.
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 17 days ago.
If parathormone level high, can deplete calcium from bones. Yes ribs are calcium-poor too. Vitamin D deficiency common & aggravate hypocalcemia. Small pic prevent exact opinion on sites of rib callus.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Doctor I am afraid I can't understand your answer above.the x ray was done 18 days after the fall.my son fell but doctor says the fracture ribs are not consistent with the fall and that rib fracture occurred 7 to 21 days before the fall.If so why was fracture ribso not visible during the first x ray?instead the ask for me to return 18 days later and then the saw healing ribs.can rib fracture not be painfull for kids?because my son has always being fine.Or is it that rib fracture as result of fragile bone don't hurt?
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 3 days ago.
Pain occurs only at sharp movement so if at rest, may not pain.