Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Peugeot 307 2.0 HDII am having intermittent power stearing.

Customer Question

Peugeot 307 2.0 HDI

I am having intermittent power stearing. Once I stop and turn the engine off for five minutes all is ok. First started a couple of weeks ago after i had the car serviced but garage said the had not touched the power stearing. so topped up the fluid level and all ok but has started again in the last couple of days. Just checked the fluid again and it is back at the min level. Any advice as I'm in Italy with the car and don't want to be ripped off or stranded as I am dur to drive back to the uk in a few days time
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Do you have the full "VIN" number handy?

Also have noticed any leaks out from under the car at all?

Any warning lights as such on the instrument panel?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry don't have the vin number handy.

REG. LM03LCK
2003 2.0 HDI

No leaks that I can see. Certainly nothing visible on the ground.

No warning light on the instrument panel.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..thanks for getting back..

.

Ok..There are two types of steering system one manual via pump drivin by the belt the other is electro hydraulic steering assistance which your may likly have.where its has and electric pump/reservior in one unit - usually if these go faulty then you will have the EPS warning light up on the dash.if you have Steering which goes heavy for periods of various lengths or, total loss of steering
assistance whilst maneuvering and driving along etc first checks really are for poor earth connection behind the right headlight or moisture in the pump unit
connector or defective pump unit or low fluid level due to leak which you may have due to the level dropping once again - syptoms Low fluid level.
Always check the fluid level first if any power steering problems are present.
Fluid leaks at the rack pinion have been quite common. as well as check for fluid leaks on all fluid hp.lp lines and rack gaitors,and repair as found - Connector.
When intermittent loss of steering assistance do the
following: Loosen and then retention the bolt at the earth point. Unplug the
pump connector and blow it out with compressed air. Check the contacts for
corrosion.This solution only appears to be effective only in few exceptions - Pump unit.If there are no fluid leaks, the fluid level is correct and
the solution above is ineffective then the power steering pump unit may need
to be replaced.Replacement of the pump always seems to cure the symptoms - if its belt drivin pump then again checks would need to made as above in regards to fluid leaks.belt tension..