Mike
Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

peugeot 307sw1.6 estate petrol.bad starting in cold weather

Customer Question

peugeot 307sw1.6 estate petrol.bad starting in cold weather fitted brand new battery started perfectley. parked up at home. went to start about 3/4 days later would not start.
had diagnostics done all sensors ok no faults. had fuel checked all o.k.new spark plugs fitted
would still not start.(ENGINE IS TURNING OVER O.K.) when ignition switched on message comes up-economy mode-.also electric windows not operating all fuses checked and o.k.
now fitting cam belt kit . timing has been aligned by inserting pins in block and in cam sprockets -did seem to be out. still not starting.
BUT did notice that there are TWO holes in one of cams and ONE in the other where pins are inserted to align both cams correctly.have we used wrong hole to align timing or is this not possible??
engine turning over but seems to be exhausting insted of firing?
hope you can help.

peter
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

to walt-mod,

thanks for your e-mail. i will wait for an answer to my question, hopefully soon!

regards peter

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still waiting for an answer to my question of 10th feb!!

i am now not very happy with your service

i hope for an answer very soon

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Your question is marked high priority and is open to all Professionals. We will be in touch with you shortly.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name isXXXXX happy to help / advise you on this.

I note you say you are not very happy with the service . To explain, your question was not listed with a very high value and not marked as urgent - so in very busy times, obviously questions are answered in order of urgency.. hence the usual reason for the delay.

As regards XXXXX XXXXX with the car, as a starting point - why is it that you have changed the timing belt ?

Rgds, MIKE.............................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello mike,

first, i was a bit concerned that my question was not listed as urgent as it should have been.

since i posted my question on 10th feb.we have found that the timing belt was somewhat worn with a couple of nicks in it.we also discovered that the woodruff key on the inlet camshaft had sheared .this had caused severe valve and some piston damage.would the woodruff shearing be caused by the water pump seizing up ?

we have sourced a(tested) and complete engine with only 12k miles, which is in the process of being fitted.

so the only question at this time is why dont the electric windows operate-this is front and back.

have checked both 30amp and the 15amp fuses - these are o.k.

hope you can help with this and will keep you informed how the engine is progressing.

regards peter

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Peter..

To explain - at that value you wouldn't have the option to post it as urgent.

To answer your question re the water pump and woodruff key - yes that is most likely... its a common issue on these engines Im afraid.

Re the windows - has the Eco Mode situation been sorted out?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

mike,

thanks for your reply regarding water pump etc. - bit frustrating that a tiny

half round key could do so much damage!! but thats life i suppose.

regarding the windows- when the ignition is switched on the economy mode message comes up every time and windows not working.

hope to hear from you soon

regards peter

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Peter - thank you for your reply -

First - my sincere apologies for the delay in my reply - I had issues of my own here which meant I just could not get back to you until now - so again, I do apologise for that...

With the Eco Mode situation - message, that can be the main cause of the windows not working - Of course, you need to be sure its nothing silly like a fuse or wiring - but to explain - when the system goes into Eco Mode.. this is because the battery has gone low on static / residual power and the computer "sees" this - so, it switches off all non essential circuits - windows inc...until such a time as full power is restored - new battery or whatever is needed...

The trouble with this system - it was a good idea in essence - but it gives so much trouble - a lot of vehicles just will not come out of eco mode - or when they do, they go back into it - and this is down to either a faulty module ..or sometimes it will re program. The trouble is - it can only be sorted with Peugeot / or dealer level diagnostic equipment.. Even if it comes to needing a new module, that has to be coded / programmed in using that equipment. Again - they can be a a real nuisance.. I know car traders that wont sell them for fear of that system going wrong... it has to go back to the dealer - and they eat all their profits in sorting out the Eco mode issue..as above..

So thats the situation with that Peter.. I hope that helps you with the understanding -and helps you toward getting it sorted - let me know how you get on..

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello mike

thank you very much for the explanation regarding the eco-mode-it made the problem a lot clearer.

the good news is that the new engine has now been fitted and started first time with no problem!!

this has now eliminated the eco-message problem and the electric windows are also working again!

the car seems to be running smoothly now so hopefully thats an end to the problems.

thank you very much for all your input during these problems it was certainly much appreciated.

thanks again ,

peter