Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

i have a peugeot expert hdi when it is warm it is difficult

Customer Question

i have a peugeot expert hdi when it is warm it is difficult to start it fires but takes a lot to get it going
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by takes alot to get going? ie:- lack of power,missfiring or just continually turning over until it eventually catches?

Do you see any excess smoke from the tail pipe when this occurs ie:- black,blue or dense white smoke?

I gather it starts ok from cold?

Whats it service history like and mileage?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It takes quite alot of turning over when it is cold and when it starts quite a lot of white smoke comes out. When it is warm after a journey as i do al ot of miles when i try to start it it will fire like it is going to start but wont i have to catch it just right and put my foot down on the accelerator to start it. Previous to this it would be working fine but then it would lose power and sometimes stop and cut out but not all the time. Mileage is 177000 with full service history.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi.there

Ok..white smoke is usually a sign of unburnt or rich fuel smell excess diesel - first things to check if this happens on cold would be the glowplugs/circuit /module at fault as very often a fault with that preheating system can cause white smoke at start up or long cranking - Iwould also try and replace the fuel filter too - if that hasnt been done during its service then it would be wise considering having that done.sometimes replacing a fuel filter can solve alot of issues with hdi's - another likly fault could be the ECT sensor running out of parameters as this senses the engine temp according to how much fuel is required on cold and hot starting which the ecu calculates - other areas could be bad or one of the injectors at fault not holding pressure, injection timing or a worn high pressure injection pump which can only really be checked using the diagnostic method to measure fuel pressures especially on the HDI fuel systems due the high pressures involved is concerned.low compression.so as above it would be worth having your glowplugs checked / fuel filter / ect sensor replaced as well as checking all the fuel lines for any obvious signs of chafing or rub marks that maybe allowing air into the system/ intake system for any restrictions.sadly the next stage would have to involve a specialist with the correct eqipment to measure the fual pressures to see if this is the HP pump going or an injector fault.i do hope this helps..