BallyBrummie, Mechanic
Experience:  20+ years experience working on a wide range of vehicles both as an employee and also running my own garage

Customer Question

hi there. My other half is the owner of an '07, 207cc. The car has done 45000 miles. She is the second owner, and evidently the car has been looked after from new by the previous owner, with dealership servicing etc. She purchased the vehicle from Toomey Peugeot, based in Southend-on-Sea, in 2011. Having owned the car for 12 months, things started to go wrong, in particular, at 39,000 miles, the car needed a new cluth and gearbox. Not good - especially at a cost of around £1,000.00! However, now, it would appear the vehicle has an even greater problem. The engine! The engine began to make a banging sound one morning, so I told her not to drive it, which she hasn't. We have now had several local mechanics look at the engine at our house, to try to find out the exact problem. An oil drain has been performed, as well as an engine 'flush' and new oil filter fitted. The mechanic who performed this said the existing oil which he drained was the correct oil, and of good quality. The overall opinion is that the 'valve timing pully' has gone - and there is a chance it has seized in the cylinder head - therefore a new cylinder head is required ? Having said this, he has said as a consequence, a whole new engine is what is really needed. Surely this can't be true? 45k miles and a new engine required on a car thats been well looked after ??? Toomey have dreadful aftersales - infact I would say it simply doesn't exist! They simply said effectively 'hard luck' in relation to the clutch and gearbox problem, and my guess is they will say the same to this. Can anyone help.....PLEASE!!!! what are your opinions of what could be the engine issue? Despite being out of warranty, surely the Office of Fair Trading may have something to say about this ? Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated. As you can imagine, this is causing my wife to be extremely stressed and worried, in what are desperate times, when we really cannot afford to pay out yet more money on this ever devaluing, and problematic vehicle. Thanks for any help you can give xxxx

Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this...

I note the engine oil has been drained etc - but has anyone actually opened up the covers on the valve train / drive system to determine if / what has happened with the drive system ?

Please give me its Full reg number too so that I can properly ID the car / systems that it has -

Rgds - MIKE..................................