Mike
Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a peugeot 206 1.1 Petrol 55 plate. Press the accelerater

I have a peugeot 206 1.1 Petrol 55 plate. Press the accelerater and dont move it, the revs will get to around 3000 and the engine cuts out and immediately starts again (on its own - not by turning key), without moving the accelerator (has a cable - not electronic). As the engine heats then the point of cut out drops (around 1500 revs) but still restarts on its own immediately? It does it whether you gently raise the revs or floor it, whether the car is running or idle.

Had a diagnostic test done and it sent the machine doolally:
- Intake Manifold pressure sensor signal Short circuit to positive or Open circuit Intermittent
- Intake air temperature signal. Short circuit to positive or open circuit Intermittent
- Idle regulation stepper motor Open circuit Intermittent
- Ignition integrated phase detection Intermittent
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Shantal-Mod,

I am happy to continue waiting at the moment.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this..

As there has been a delay - can you tell me what checks / tests / progress has been made since asking your question -

Plus - what mileage does the car have - and what is its service / recent repair history?

Too - are there any fault lights on the dash when this happens?

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I have not done anything more as yet since I posted the question, It was fully serviced (all filters, plugs etc) in March 2012 and has not been any problem until now.

The engine management light is not on, except when I cleaned the map sensor but that has gone out now and not come on since.

The local garage didn't have a clue (normally they cannot be faulted) and tested the alternator, as this was replaced at the same time of the last service, and this showed no problems as the car still had the fault without the wiring attached to the alternator.

I have also connected the engine direct to earth and that has no effect.

It has around 60000 miles on it.

When the engine cuts out, the battery light flickers on and there is a click but goes straight out when the engine restarts itself.

Also there is a clicking after you turn the engine off which is coming from somewhere near to the throttle cable assembly.

As mentioned I took it to the garage when it was cold and it ran lovely until I tried to give it more revs and obviously cut out between 3000/4000 revs.

I had to leave it over night to cool down as after they were testing it on the diagnostic machine it was too warm to get back as it will not rev past 1000/1500 when it is warm.

Again it ran lovely on the way back until you hit the point where it cuts out.

It starts on its own immediately after it has cut out (within a split second).

If you take your foot off the accelerator just after it has cut out/restarted the revs go up to where they would be expected and then drop to around 800 for normal idling, dropping at a normal speed(not slowly dropping - just how you would expect them to drop)

Hope you can help.

Simon

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Simon -

Thank you for your reply and extra info - that is very helpful. ( My apologies that I could only just get back to you at this point )

Ok - there is a known fault with these - and this does fit your symptoms - and the doolally results you refer too... this a a bad earth on the engine management ecu... So, what you need to do is have that checked - and ideally regardless -as if its not bad now, it will happen - have the garage run in a new earth for the ecu ( eng management computer )

I would suggest before that is done - have them undo , clean and refit all the earth connections on the engine - and on the body in the engine bay -and then try it, see if they have hit on it. If not , they need to do as above to either cure this or rule that out for sure. Again, thats a known / common fault with these. That too will give you "odd" readings with diagnostics - because the ecu / computer is not earthing properly...

So before much else - that needs doing as above.

Other suspects would be, fuel supply ( pressure needs testing with proper equipment ) - Throttle body faults.... and connections to it ( another common fault on these ) Too an exhaust restriction - such as cat converter blockage - which would need testing for .

There is another , common, but not widely known issue with these, that will cause these symptoms, and that is one of two of the sensors on the engine.

The first is the air flow meter - the second common one is the crank sensor..and finally, the Ect ( engine temp sensor)

The Air flow sensor can often be tested by just disconnecting the cable connector - and see if your revs return. It may idle badly etc - but if the power is restored - then the air flow meter is faulty. ( Some have different systems to this - if your one has the air flow meter system ( in the air pipe) -have them check that that way....

The other sensors would have to be renewed really to test - as "testing" is not conclusive.

But - before replacing any components - its important that the earths as above are fully gone through / checked as above -first.

Finally - if all else is ruled out - you need to have a Peugeot garage check the Ecu / engine management software. There are updates for these - that only they can do... and your symptoms do also fit with this issue...

There are other things as mentioned, fuel pressure, and other general issues - these for example suffer from coil pack troubles and so on - but I have listed items in line with what you have mentioned re the symptoms..

So I have given you all that is known on these to work through to get this sorted for you Simon... Of course all the general wiring / connections etc should be checked for chaffing / wire / cable loom damage etc as well - as part of general basic checks as you go - but if its nothing like that - one or the other as above should see this cured for you -Let me know how you get on Simon at any time.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Had another code reading machine on it which came up with the codes P0351 and P0352, after checking machine manual and internet it seems to be something to do with Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary circuit Malfunction (P0351) and Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary circuit Malfunction (P0352).

I have changed coil pack to check that and it has had no effect, and I have also removed all sensor connecting plugs one by one as you mentioned in your reply except the one at the back of the inlet as I havn't figured out how that one comes off yet!

Removing all of these connectors made no difference.

I have just taken out the ECU to get to the earth etc which felt secure but I have not run another one to it yet as my fingers are dropping off!

I will have another go tomorrow, but in the mean time do you have any further info regarding these 2 new fault codes?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate your help.

Simon

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Simon...

You will normally get fault codes such as you have for the ign circuit if you have a definate misfire - If you have, that will do that - and give you a distinct loss of power too.

If thats genuine - and new coil doesn't cure it, then the fault is either with the wiring from the ecu to the coils - or, the Ecu itself... and closely related to the above ( previous answer I gave you )

I suspect it will be found that the fault is as I mentioned above - and / or wiring before the ecu - Also - these are common for failing connections on the injectors - due to water leaks from the washer tubes - so check that too as above... just in case.

Other than that - its a case of carrying on as above Simon..

Best Rgds, MIKE..

I do just need you to click on the OK ~ Excellent service ratings for me now at this point please...as that is how Im credited for helping you.... Thank you in advance for that..

Kind Rgds- MIKE..

..........Nb - You can get back to me anytime you might wish / need - clicking the OK ratings service does not close you out -- Thank You again...

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Tech Expert