Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Have recently bought a 207, petrol. 07 plate with 27000miles.

Customer Question

Have recently bought a 207, petrol. 07 plate with 27000miles. The clutch bites very high. The brakes pedal is also very sensitive/fierce. I understand that the clutch cannot be adjusted. Is the highness of the "bite" of the clutch a symptom of excessive wear or just normal for this car? Can the fierceness of the brakes be adjusted? That do you advise. Many thanks in advance.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Just to clarify :- By how far does the bite start at on the clutch ie:- beyond halfway or just near fully to the up position?

Have noticed any issues with getting into gear or slipping or burning even as such?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well above the halfway position, very close to the top. Noticed a judder once or twice when pulling off in first in difficult situtaion ( eg up a steep hill).

Hope this helps.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi.there thanks for getting back..

Your are correct the clutch can't be adjusted as its a hydraulic clutch operating system on these so its a case of the hydraulic system self adjusting as the clutch assembly wears out as it wears then the bite does come up a little higher than usual and is usually a sign of clutch assembly wear but at the that mileage would be surprising - but you would expect to get some sort of slip sensation out the clutch or the rpm higher than it should be and not getting much pull out the car in particular going up hill or from a standstill - there is test you can do..not sure wether you tried this or not..on a quite flat road put it in 4th lift the clutch slowly and try to pull away. The car should then really labour badly to the point of stall straight away completely. If it doesn't and pulls off slowly or rpm increases slowly without much labour on the engine, the clutch is worn.same sort of method in 1st/2nd gear with the handbrake on and lift the clutch up slowly you should feel the rear end of the car lower down if not than again the clutch is likly suspect ...or sometimes with a worn clutch when travelling at constant speed you can rev the engine without any real noticeable effect on speed or responce from the car..so you could try these tests and see how that goes - another likly suspect could be the clutch hydraulic system master cylinder - you could opt to try and have all re-bleed again and see if that helps..unfortunatly as far as the brake they can be be a little over assisted and cant really be adjusted - if they have been changed very recently then sometimes you can get that sudden grab effect which will slowly settle as the bed in....apart from that very often with new cars that you have just got to driving it can sometimes be a case of personally adjusting to the car which is something to bear in mind too...I do hope this helps