Mike
Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a peugeot 406 3.0V6 coupe - 207 BHP, first registered

I have a peugeot 406 3.0V6 coupe - 207 BHP, first registered in 2001.
Now when I start running, between 50-90 kms per hour ( around 2000/ 3000 rpm in 3rd/ 4th gear there is a lud drumming / droning noise which seems to emanate from the middle/ rear of the car. Any ideas what it might be ?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am happy to wait

Thank you for your patience, we will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this..

What is the mileage on the car ?

What is its service /recent repair history ?

Lastly - just to clarify - would you say its like a loud humming / droning - that comes on as you pick up speed - ?

Kind Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The mileage is 71000 and the car was serviced around 7000 miles ago - oil change, plugs, coils, MAP sensor, cambelt etc- the full monty-
The noise starts at around 50 kms per hour up to 90 kms per hour and and at about 2000 rpm in 3rd/ 4th as the car gets faster the noise is less loud because of road noise
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again...

Thank you for your reply -and confirmation as to how the noise arises.

This is typical of wheel bearing wear - the problem is identifying it for sure as noise tends to travel - not be distinctive as to which corner / area of the car its coming from...

If you sit in another seat for example while someone drives - you will usually see it as coming from a different area.

So - what is needed is to have the car jacked up -and then testing the rear non drive wheels first - check them for any play - and then importantly...spin them each by hand as fast as poss.... They on spinning like this should be silent - If you have the worn one there - it will drone as you spin it - indicating a dry / excessively worn bearing.

To be honest, its usually one of the rears - the fronts very often last the life of the car - but IF its not found to be at the rear - the fronts need testing in the same way - The problem with testing the fronts is that they are harder to get up to speed spinning them as they are your "drive" wheels... but one way or the other - that is the way to find the culprit - and then of course have the offending bearing replaced to cure this for you.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience: Tech Expert