Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

Customer Question

my fuel gauge doesn't work on my 1997 peugeot 106, I have changed the sender unit in the tank but it still does not work, everything else on the dash works fine just the fuel gauge. what else can be the problem?
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, I will wait for an answer

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

What you will have to do is where the wiring harness connects to the tank float sensor is to ground /earth the fuel level wire and the fuel gauge should shoot up to full quick access is under the rear seat which you probably known due to replacing it ..

If the gauge does not move then the cluster has malfunctioned .

But the cluster is a very well known problem for bad temp and fuel gauges malfunctioning .

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I have tried earthing the wire from the sender unit but still no movement on the fuel gauge. what is the cluster ? do you mean the clock gauges and speedo?

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Yes the cluster is the gauges ,remove and check the connection on the back of the cluster .
Sometimes the connection could be bad, and may just need cleaning and reconnecting Checked again if nothing, have the cluster repaired .

Rgds Greg