Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I bought a Peugeot 206 1.1 lx 53 plate, the weekend from a

Customer Question

I bought a Peugeot 206 1.1 lx 53 plate, the weekend from a car sales centre. When I originally looked at it he said it was a 1.4, then when I put the reg details to insure it, it came up as a 1.1. A few people have looked at it & said they think it is indeed a 1.4 engine, how can I find out? I have tried putting the vin number on the Internet searches but it keeps comming up as an invalid vin number. Can you help? Thanks
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Maybe I can help..

Can you supply the full vin number and i see what info i have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Vf32chfxf43038587
Car reg: ku53 aax
Engine number stated on log book: fp6r4231984
Cylinder capacity: 1124
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..Thanks for that info..

Ok.. i can see your car now and have the details as per below..

206 / 3 DOOR SALOON / 1.1i (TU1JP) petrol injection engine / Manual 5 speed gearbox

PRODUCT TYPECAR
COMMERCIAL MARQUE/COMPONENT TYPEPEUGEOT
VEHICLE FAMILY206
SILHOUETTE3 DOOR SALOON
TRIM LEVELLEVEL XT
ENGINETU1JP INJECTION
TRANSMISSIONBVM5
PAINT TYPEMETALLIC PAINTWORK
BODY COLOUREKQ - PAINT - WICKED RED
INTERIOR TRIM TYPEVELOUR ENJOY F791 + MISTECO F685 "RN"
UPHOLSTERY COLOUR"FY"
GEARBOX (CHARACTERISTICS)UP-RATED BVM/MA
ENGINE (TYPE)TU
OTHER BADGEWITHOUT FULLER BADGE
OTHER BADGE, " MISC. "WITHOUT FULLER BADGE
BADGELX

So as above the car according to your Vin number you gave me there is most definatly a 1.1 petrol engine you have in there..and not a 1.4....however i do hope the details above are of help to you..If you need anything else then just ask..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If there was a bigger engine in the vehicle & it hadn't been changed on the log book, how would I know? I'm slightly wary as the salesman has repeatedly changed information he originally told me about the car & was under the assumption that it was a 1.4 engine. When it broke down on the same day of me picking it up, he immediately got defensive & told me to take the car back before even listening to what the problem was. Where would I find the engine serial number on the engine to see if it coincides with what's on the log book? If it is different, does that make the tax, insurance & mot invalid?
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

The only way to know if the engine has been changed at somepoint is to see if the engine number on the block matches that of what you see on the log book..I can give you diagram below that may help you id or locate the number.they will always be on the engine block itself - nearside front centre of the block in a dot matrix format - and not the cylinder head as these can be changed regardless..If its been sold as a 1.4 when it was really a 1.1 then thats fraudulently selling/advertising and could be something to take up with local trade and standards if you want to take this any further aswell as the car breaking down its doesnt sound fit for purpose to be honest especially on the same day of picking it up!.unless he told you the engine had been changed or has any documentation as to say it has.Which means you have or could of paid the expected sale price of a 1.4 rather then the expected or average sale price of a 1.1 which may of been cheaper..you really do now need to check all important numbers match and correspond with the doucmentation you have inc mots and observe the mileage discrepancies on each to ensure it matches/adds up to what you currently have on the clock just to rule it out..there is website online where you can check previous mots if you dont have them https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle .. another option would be to try the Peugeot main dealer and see if they can help see what engine number they have against the vin number/reg number and see if it matches against the log book or number you you get of the engine block.there maybe small chance of implications in regards XXXXX XXXXX if its still registered as a 1.1 when it has 1.4 engine in it as any engine change- you have a duty to inform DVLA of any changes to the details they have..Both 1.1 and 1.4 8valve engines are pretty similar in how they look so can be a little hard to tell the differance unless its a 1.4 16valve then it will have black engine cover ver the top instead..

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi.there

This is just a follow up with you to see if you need any further help since your last visit?

If you need to follow up or ask anything else before you rate your answer? then your more than welcome too and continue on the same question should you need to ask anything else...

If don't need anything else and your happy with the advice/answer so far, then it is highly important that all customers remember to "positively rate/accept" the advice/answer or info givin....

Let me know,

Regards[Robert]