Mike
Mike, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Citroen c8_ power steering warning light comes on,then Stop

Customer Question

Citroen c8_ power steering warning light comes on,then Stop light. Car still drives.Sometimes on start up power steering fails. Try a few times then starts ok. Also light fault ...looks like skid comes on. Oct 12 had 4 New tyres tracking balancing, . Problem stopped until 3 weeks ago.
Help doing my head in
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE, Im happy to help you with this -

I note you have had 2 mechs look at this for you -- what are the results of the fault code readings ?

Too - what mileage is on the car?

Rgds - MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They could find nothing wrong. The mileage is 72000

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Karen -

Thank you for your reply -

My apologies for the delay -you may have noticed there have been system issues preventing logging in -

With this situation that you have, it is generally early signs of a fault / failing of the steering pump unit - these on these models are electric,.so it makes sense to check / have checked, the wiring / connections to the pump unit etc - as there have been many cases of it just being bad / damaged wing etc -

If its not that, then replacement of the pump unit is the general answer to this issue - but I say replacement - there are companies that specialise in the recondition of these units which saves a lot of money over a new Citroen unit. I can give you a contact number of one such company -in fact I will give you that now to save you time / delay .. that is, 0 1 6 3 4 - 6 8 7 2 2 2.. give them a call and they will talk you through it - costs etc,.. It would be a case of having your garage remove the pump unit - send it to them- and they return it reconditioned with a full warranty , fixed and then its just re fitted. Before they do anything they test it to see exactly what's wrong with it etc and then go from there. So so long as your garage are sure all else - as above is ok - thats the way to go with that. As regards the anti skid, this could be being causes by this in that it can have a knock on effect - but the steering is the first thing to deal with with and then if that still is there, that can be checked separately. Often its just a sensor to be honest - one of the four wheel sensors - but again, the wiring to each / connections etc should be checked first -and then go from there.

WIth early signs as you have now, it can sometimes be difficult to get a definitive diagnosis , so that is the way forward on this one now to make progress for you.

Once again, my apologies for the delay in my reply as above -

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think that the tracking/balancing has any thing to do with it? After I had this done and the four new tyres nothing happened at all with regards to warning lights etc.

Do you think its worth getting it done again?

karen

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Karen -

Thank you very much for your reply.

No this is not anything to do that in general --- its just not going to affect it at all Im afraid.... so no, having it redone would not alter / improve or affect it it any way - Its just happened to start to play up / go at that time coincidentally Im afraid.

.... Per the way justanswer works, Please do click on the OK~ excellent ratings service for now at this point -- Thank you in advance for that ...

( If you do need to get back to me at all after - you can do so at any time at all - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out )

Kind Rgds- MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

why the did it not play up for 7 montjs. Can tempersture effect it?

cheers

karen

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Karen -

Thank you for your reply -

There is no real reason at all why it would suddenly play up at the 7 month mark - its just developed the fault - which could have happened / occurred at any time at all to be honest with you - there is just no reason behind that - and too no, temperature is not going to have an effect on that - not ambient temperature anyway.. If the unit is overheating in itself just due to its very fault - the fact that its faulty, then that would be a knock -on - but not the cause ...

I hope that answers that for you but do get back to me if you need anything more -

Please do not forget to click on the OK~ Excellent ratings service fro me Karen - as that is how I am credited for my time etc in helping you --- not forgetting you can get back to me any time you might need or wish - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all - Thank you again in advance..

Best Rgds,. MIKE.